Firefighter challenge coins are among the most-respected of these commemorative medallions. Firemen are among the most respected of civilian rescue personnel, with a well-earned reputation for bravery and integrity. Thus, it should not be surprising that firefighters have embraced the concept of the challenge medallion, since it helps to build the bonds of brotherhood among the squad. When you are facing a life-threatening situation, it is very important that you be able to trust the other firefighters working beside you, and the challenge coin helps to symbolize this.
There are many ways that firefighter challenge coins can be used:
1. They can be given to all the members of a squad. For this purpose, the coin should have the insignia of the squad as a way of identifying the holder as a squad member. They can also have consecutive numbering as a way of indicating that they are a limited issue. The numbering can also be a way of indicating seniority, with those who have been part of the squad longer having lower numbers on their coins.
2. They can be given only to those who have demonstrated exemplary performance above and beyond the call of duty. Thus, those who have one of these special coins are singled out for displaying outstanding bravery or other outstanding qualities while doing their job.
3. They can be used to memorialize firefighters who have fallen in the line of duty. in this case, the coins can include the date of the event as part of the design, as well as the name of the fallen firefighters and a short inscription such as “In Memory of…”
4. They can be inscribed with a special prayer for the protection of the firefighters. In this case, the custom coins can be like religious medallions that the firefighters carry around for good luck.
5. They can be used to mark an anniversary. In this case, the coins can be distributed not only to members of the squad but select members of the community as well as those who have supported the firefighters.
In addition, volunteer firefighters can also issue their own challenge coins. These coins can be particularly important in building team spirit since the members of the squad are all volunteers who don’t have to participate but voluntarily choose to give their time for free in order to be of service to the community. In this case, the coins can also be given to people who support the volunteer firefighters by providing either monetary or moral support.
Designing Firefighter Challenge Coins
When you are ordering custom coins for firefighters, why not take advantage of the wide range of design options available in order to make the medallions more distinctive? For example, if the coin is used to mark an anniversary, why not add an antique finish to them to make them look genuinely of the period? Or you can add a diamond cut edge to the coins to make them look more attractive and less like real coins or tokens.
Another design factor that you can consider is making the coin a custom shape rather than the regular round one. For instance, why not make the coin in the shape of the firefighter’s badge? Or you can have the text on the coin engraved to make them stand out or add an epoxy finish so that the coins will last longer.
If you are not yet convinced that having challenge coins made is a good idea, consider the many benefits you will enjoy versus the relatively lost cost of having them made. Custom coins cost less than you would expect, so why not check them out?
They can be inscribed with a special prayer for the protection of the firefighters. In this case, the custom coins can be like religious medallions that the firefighters carry around for good luck.